Viewing risk registers and matrices
You can view a risk register by clicking on its name from the risk register listing page. Alternatively, you can click on the Risks link in the project panel:
Clicking Risks displays one of three views:
the main view of a risk register, if there exists only one risk register based on the project; or
a list of risk registers based on the project, with links that enable you to navigate to the main view; or
an empty-state view that offers to create a new risk register.
Here is how the list of risk registers appears:
Selecting the name of the desired register opens up the main risk register view. You can toggle between the register and matrix views using the RISK REGISTER and RISK MATRIX links near the top of the page.
Risk Register View
The register view displays your risks as a flat list with 7 columns. Clicking on either of the hyperlink columns (Key or Summary) opens the risk page (see Creating and assessing risks for a description of the risk page). Clicking on the column titles sorts the register by that column, while repeatedly clicking the column header cycles between default sorting, ascending order, and descending order.
If any treatments have been defined for a risk, they appear beneath the risk in the register view. Treatments can be expanded and collapsed using the toggle next to the risk:
Clicking the downward chevron icon at the top of that column expands/contracts all risks at once.
Customizing the Column Display
Click on the Action Menu in the top-right corner and select Columns:
The Customize columns screen is displayed:
The column names displayed in the Selected list are those that are shown in the risk register view. You can drag column names between the Selected and Not selected columns. The following buttons are available:
- Save exits the screen and applies your changes to the risk register display.
- Cancel exits the screen without saving changes.
- Defaults restores the Selected list to the default columns.
Risk Matrix View
The risk matrix view displays your risks as a heatmap.
You can display either the inherent risk or the residual risk on the matrix (for more information about inherent and residual risk, see Creating and assessing risks). You can flip between these two risk types by selecting the appropriate radio button near the top of the page.
Selecting a cell causes the panel on the right of the screen to populate with the risks at that level.
Selecting an entry from this list opens the risk.
The action menu is in the top-right corner of the page.
It allows you to do the following:
- Add a risk. Opens the Create issue dialog with the project and issue type fields populated appropriately. This dialog lets the user create one or more Jira issues, with risk assessments automatically added to them. The issue is of the type defined as your primary risk type in either the project settings or application settings. If you have not defined a primary risk type, then this menu item does not appear. Furthermore, if the risk register being viewed is a project-based risk register, this menu item will not appear unless the user has ‘Create issues’ permission in that project.
- Settings. Opens the settings page for the risk register.
- Columns. Customize the columns displayed in the risk register view. See Customizing the Column Display above.
- Browse risks. Opens a filter showing all risks associated with this register. This is a way to view risks in Jira’s native issue navigator and enables you to get a "behind the scenes" view of the search criteria being used by the risk register. The issue navigator enables you to export your risks to PDF, Excel, and other file types.
- User guide. Opens the Risk Register User Guide.